Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lime rock ate my tire

     I should have started this blog sooner, since I'll probably have to jump backwards to post some stuff but...

     Yesterday I survived my first track day (and had a freaking blast!) with EMRA at Lime Rock.  I got 3 20 minute sessions in which equated to 60 miles on track.  My instructor was very helpful and showed me the line very well.  He went on to tell me that he was surprised at how quickly/well i picked up the line, and how big a jump in speed I made from session one to two.  Between the mass of students/shortage of instructors and the car control/understanding of everything I displayed both to the instructor and in class, I was allowed to do the last session (still with the novice group) solo, and they made suggestions as to which cars to try and follow (the more experienced guys/instructor pairings).


Session 1 - I was definitely nervous.  Not knowing how the car is going to react and basically having not had the opportunity to build high speed confidence in either myself or the car.  Drove the session and it FELT fast, but I'm sure it wasn't.  Had a very wide line everywhere, and pulled it tighter as I got more comfortable.

Session 2 - Now knowing how the car was going to react, I had the goal of smoothing out the line and hitting marks/reference points.  Its quite amazing to be able to feel the handling difference when you get the weight transfer better and even though you are rolling  a lot, it feels more planted and in control.  I kept very long braking zones and attempted to turn in later and later until i was finally hearing a little feed back from the tires.  Instructor commented that in his opinion I was easily 5-7 seconds or more faster than the first time out (I did not run a transponder to try and prevent myself from hunting a time and could just focus on learning).

Apparently star specs can get VERY sticky when used correctly.
 

Session 3 - Little nervous to be going out on my own, but I had shown myself and instructor that I am capable and have the knowledge to go out and do it, I just need seat time.  Experimented with a new line through no name stretch/the esses, by making sure I put a tire on the inside rumble strip mid sector.  A few quick glances showed a gain of around 5mph down the back stretch and into the uphill.  Just shy of halfway through the session the tires got slippery, and were REALLY talking back.  The car started pushing pretty hard in turn 4 and 7 (into the downhill).  Had a moment in turn 4 that required a quick lift and some steering input to get pointed down the track instead of at the flag stand...pretty sure I was a little sideways...

checked my tires at the end of the day and discovered this on the front left.

     Overall, I was blown away by how good the evo really is on the track.  I have enough grip with how its setup up now to get considerably faster I think.  The RC5+ pads with no ducting and factory 54k mile rotors did great, and the pedal was there all day, with no issues what so ever (definitely helps you get comfortable when you have consistent brakes).  Next event will be back at Lime Rock on June 16th.

Priority List:
- Fresh alignment (wasted tire may be from too much toe, or possibly bad hot pressures)
- Dedicated track wheels/tires (RPF1's with either RS3's if they come off back order, or maybe R-Comps)
- Find some way to hold myself in the seat better
- Get the brake ducting done


Will hopefully get some other mods done right after that, before I head to NJMP...more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment