Thursday, April 12, 2012

The beginning

...I'm almost positive that at some point I swore I would never start a blog.

     Unfortunately I don't really have any good explanation as to how my obsession with cars started.  I am the only gear head in my entire family, although my dad always did most of his own maintenance.  I think at some point, someone just made the mistake of letting me pick up a copy of sport compact car or something silly like that.  In high school I became friends with a few guys who owned mildly modded hondas which of course only fed in to the urge more...until I got my first car...a 1997 Subaru Outback, possibly the most unmoddable car ever?
     I'm just shy of my 26th birthday as I begin this adventure.  I got my license at 16 and have gone on to own 11 cars to date, including multiple tuned Saabs and one very heavily home built honda motor that spent life in 2 different chassis (and holds a naturally aspirated 1.8L dyno record of 212whp)    The evo is #10 and #11 is my current "beater"/winter car, a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT that I just picked up last month.  I can in fact tell you when I became interested in evo's.  In about 03/04 I was out with my car buddies at the local hang out spot one Friday night, as one of the guys who had graduated the year before (and worked at the local mitsu dealership) rolled by ever so slowly in a silver evo 8.  They were on my mind from that day forward.
     After 6 years of college and dealing with 6 months of job hunting (which involved many hours surfing forums and for sale threads), I landed an interview and was eventually offered a job.  Almost as soon as I solidified the job and found an apartment, I ran across a 2006 apex silver evo with 45k miles on it, mild mods that I would have chosen myself, and adult owned...and snatched it up as fast as possible since a basically unmolested 1 owner evo is a rarity.

But how did you decide to try and get into racing/track driving?

     Good question.  I began watching racing on tv at some point, and gravitated to open wheel racing and INDYCAR (I will NEVER miss watching the INDY500, and have attended the race once so far).  This slowly grew into watching every type of racing available on speed channel from every NASCAR series to F1 to Australian v8's...and slowly getting into learning the theory behind car setup and engineering.  My knowledge of car setup topics is pretty ridiculous, and I felt it was time to apply it in real life.  
     While attending the 2011 Baltimore INDY grand prix with my dad, he decided to tell me that if I'm so interested in this stuff I should just find some way to do it.  BIG MISTAKE.  After that, I spent a lot of time researching ways to get into racing and did a lot of reading on Formula 500/F1000/Formula ford type cars, but the cars are $20k plus and costs add up QUICKLY.  The next best option was to start attending HPDE's with the evo, and work my way towards a competition and eventual competition in Time attack events.

This all marks the beginning of that adventure.  Time to get after it.

How did you come up with Prescription Racing (RxRacing)?

     Quite simply actually.  I'm a pharmacist, this adventure will hopefully cure my itch to go learn to go fast, and in the process learn a great deal about engine/aero/suspension setup through hands on experience...kinda like a prescription for something...duh

No comments:

Post a Comment